Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the most extremely promising researchers at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships will also be meant to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal federal government and organizations.
Are you qualified to receive a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, as of the deadline date associated with the in which you apply, you must year:
- be A canadian resident or even a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to keep a doctorate in just one of the fields of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use just once towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You must certainly not have previously gotten a postdoctoral honor (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You need to have finished all needs of one’s doctoral degree no further than couple of years prior to the deadline date of the season by which you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but alternatively the date on which most of the demands of the degree had been met, such as the defence that is successful distribution of this corrected copy of one’s thesis. For candidates with over one doctoral level, the conclusion date of the latest doctoral level should be utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- When you have obtained at the least 6 months of full-time appropriate work in industry or government (experience with an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories won’t be considered) once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you had your job notably interrupted as a result of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have completed a non-research based clinical residency program.
- If, within couple of years following date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job considerably interrupted because of parental, medical and/or family-related duties, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within couple of years before or following the date of completion of one’s PhD, you feel the caregiver that is primary the birth or use of a kid, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility into the program. Then you may do so in the Special Circumstances section of the application if you wish to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that may have affected your performance and/or productivity.
Where could you hold your fellowship?
You can easily hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You simply cannot hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research that requires collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The character for the proposed collaboration must be appropriate to your host organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad only when you have got gotten your doctorate from a Canadian organization.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with various research surroundings. You’re not allowed to put up your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research institutions along with other laboratories) in which you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you might request an exclusion which will be considered by the choice committee. The request needs to be according to medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or systematic reasons (as an example, option of specific gear), which can make it acutely difficult to help you keep a particular institution. No matter if your exclusion is issued, you’re not allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You will be motivated to incorporate a location that is alternate your PDF in case your request for an exclusion just isn’t approved.
- You might maybe not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, whether or not your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You could want to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you use?
It is possible to submit an application for a PDF by finishing and publishing Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. Browse the directions on how best to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications may be refused.
Except for personal email address, NSERC will perhaps not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the application after it’s been submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review procedures and selection criteria
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection requirements described when you look at the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. Remember that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates who self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in accordance with the after broad discipline categories:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Plant and animal biology
The research topic rule (see listing of Research Subject Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined from the application will figure out the choice committee where the application is supposed to be examined. NSERC may designate the application form up to a committee that is different it determines that the topic matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard resistant to the possibility for unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases depend on a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, regions of research or approaches (including growing people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets for the applicant.
NSERC is functioning on evidence that equity, variety and addition fortify the clinical and engineering communities while the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should make reference to concerns 5 to 7 into the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the job to find out more.
In preparing their application, candidates should consult the choice requirements and indicators section and www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQZKo1RRuo dating site Appendix an of this Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which supplies helpful informative data on exactly what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Candidates must also read the guidelines for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are examined and chosen in accordance with:
- Analysis potential(70 and ability%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will likely not offer outcomes by telephone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its site. To learn more, start to see the usage of Suggestions Act therefore the Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with prize
Reference the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and demands about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid parental leave, keeping the honor on a part-time foundation, etc.